Monday, February 03, 2014

Caretaker Duke

I am sick of being sick.  Yesterday my throat got really bad, and since then, it has been killing me to swallow, breathe, anything that requires my throat.  The doctor took a swab today to see if I have strep.  It was all I could do not to beg for the meds now, and not when the test results get in tomorrow.  I can't believe how much it hurts, and I can't talk.  No jokes on how blessed the Duke must be! ;)

Put that on top of wheezing lungs, stuffed sinuses, plugged ears, swollen glands, low grade fever and all out exhaustion, and I'm just a ball of fun to be around!  lol

But the Duke has been so wonderful.  I was able to do everything I had planned for HoH Day, except making him a good meal on Saturday night.  That is when the cold started wearing on me, so he got take out.  But everything else we were able to do. :)

And then, care taker mode went in on the Duke like I'd never seen before.  Except for going to the bathroom, and actually lifting my food off the plate to eat, there was not a thing I was allowed to do yesterday except be on the computer.  He brought me every meal in bed.  He went to the store twice, once to get orange juice, ice cream and cough drops, and then when someone told us that I should have gatorade instead of orange juice, he ran back out.  He kept bringing me in ice cream, and brought me in more blankets when I was so cold.

At one point I went to go put the laundry in the dryer, he put his hand up and said firmly "NO! Stay in bed." I told him he had his HoH Hat on firmly.   He laughed, and then proceeded to pretend to pry an imaginary hat off his head, yanking and pulling as if he was a mime, and then told me "Yeah, it's stuck on good!"  lol I had a good laugh.

He's becoming so dominant.  He wanted to take my temperature, and I didn't want to... but I was told I didn't have a choice in the matter, so in the thermometer went.  I mean, at that point, I wanted nothing in my mouth, it all hurt so bad... but he won.  I had a low grade fever.

There are other things too, but that man loves me, and didn't show once that he minded taking care of me.  I'm so thankful for him.  I'm so thankful for how far we've come.  He truly worries over my health now, something he didn't do before.  And let me tell you, it makes me feel like the most important person in the world to him when he gets all bossy to make sure I'm okay. :)

Duke, thank you for your care of me this past few days.  You are just wonderful. :)

23 comments:

  1. Oh EsMay, I am sorry to hear you are so sick :(
    It is great that the Duke is looking after you so well though, my poor husband has had a run of looking after me for years!! Bless him. I am in a good phase right now and it is a relief to both of us. I hope you are better soon
    lots of love and sympathy Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jan, I am so glad to hear that things are looking better right now. :) And I hope I am better soon too! LOL :)

      Delete
  2. Yes nothing makes them more dominant that a sick wife. I was even told this past Christmas Eve I was NOT going to Mass. That is a hard one to take...

    Trying gargling with white vinegar and warm water. I know many say salt but the vinegar doesn't need to dissolve. It doesn't last forever but it does give you some reprieve. I think I might have mentioned this to you last year, come to think of it. :)

    We are big time sinus sufferers. If it isn't too uncomfortable, lay on your face. Yup you heard me. Put your forehead on the edge of your pillow and your wrists up around you ears. You many want a Kleenex near your nose. Also have you tried those Neti pots? Personally I have never tried them, but I know people who swear by them!

    Hope you are feeling better soon....
    love
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so cute to see this protective side coming out of the Duke. :) Though I am sorry that you had to miss mass this Christmas. {{{hugs}}} I will DEFINITELY try that vinegar, day three of this, and I still can't swallow without tears of pain. :( Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. So sorry you are a sickie! It sounds like you deal with it a bit better than me(I have actually wished for death in the wakes of the flu)....having your man take care of you so well hopefully makes it a bit easier to deal with. I have to swear by the neti pot for sinus issues, but sometimes it runs down your throat so that might just hurt :( Hope the test results come quickly, feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I haven't gotten to wishing for death yet, but maybe that will come after I start starving from not being able to really eat. LOL I have never tried the neti pot... but have had it suggested... maybe I'll give it a go... when I'm more brave. LOL

      Delete
  4. EsMay... sorry you are under the weather. I was pretty sick in December which was no fun. I too, was lucky my hubby looked out for me then and it sounds like the Duke is doing a great job. Try popcicles as well, chloreseptic spray is good and wrm salt water gargles. Sounds like strep to me, I unfortunately get it 4-5 times a year. Hope you a better in no time. Stay in bed and rest. Do as the Duke says... I got spanked while being sick last time for failure to listen. I had the pleasure of focusing on a very sore bottom along with a very sore throat.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about chloreseptic... I should get that! :) I cannot even begin to imagine strep 4-5 times a year! {{{hugs}}} I am so glad you have a wonderful husband that will take care of you through it. LOL Yeah, if I do too much today, I can guarantee a warm bottom tonight. ;) So I'm being good and staying in bed. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm hope you're feeling better today. That sounds terrible. I agree with Willie on the vinegar though I always used raw apple cider vinegar. I swear it does help. Another friend breathes steam with herbs (whatever she has but esp. mint) in the water. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I actually have that here in my fridge! I'll give it a try. :) Hmmm, scented water, sounds heavenly. :) We have had the cool water vaporizer running in our room as well to try to help.

      Delete
  6. So sorry you're sick and so happy Duke is there to care for you. Now just remember, there was another way he could have taken your temperature…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK, I'm going to innocently assume you mean under my arm! LOL

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.....but sounds like you are getting the best care possible.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abby, I am truly blessed that he is taking such good care of me. I even got breakfast in bed again this morning. :) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear that you don't feel well! But equally happy to hear how wonderful the Duke is treating you. That HOH hat is a wonderful thing and I'm glad that it's stuck on his head! LOL. Hope you feel better soon. It does sound like Strep. Gargle with the vinegar like Wilma suggested - that seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, but you know, if it's stuck on too tight, might cut off oxygen, and then he'll get less smart, and then I'll look even smarter again... ;) I almost hope this is strep so that they'll give me meds, and fighting it on my own, which I'd normally prefer to do, is not helping. :(

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear your sick Es May but very happy to hear how the Duke is taking care of you. Also very happy to hear that HoH hat is firmly planted on his head...you need it. ;)

    Oh and I swear by chicken broth with lots of garlic. Also virgin daiquiri's are great...I fed them to my kids when they were sick...put fruit in blender with ice and juice...blend until smooth. I normally have frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches, etc. in my freezer) so I don't need to use as much, if any ice.

    Sending lots of prayers and healing energy your way.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any excuse to eat garlic is wonderful in my book. :) I just don't like the garlic press, but the wonderful taste is SO WORTH IT! :) :) You know, I had to reread, because at first I didn't see the virgin part, and thought you were giving your kids alcohol whenever they were sick. LOL {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  10. Darn those naughty sick bugs! They are so annoying. I sure hope you get well soon. Sounds like the Duke has it all under control.

    Gentle hugs,
    sara :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does, and is so good to me. :) Hehehe, thanks for the gentle hugs. ;) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  11. Awe EsMay, I'm sorry you have been sick again and hope you are feeling better soon.

    This is a sweet post and a great follow up to your HoH Day post. It's wonderful to see how well the Duke takes care of you :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it as a good follow up post, but I guess you are right. Too much more praise, and it might go to his head. Think I should back off some? ;) ;) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.