Friday, March 15, 2019

The Thought That SAVED My Marriage

This is one of those hard to share posts, where I share secrets,,, but I believe we can all learn from each other and each others marriages, so in case this helps one other marriage... here we go.  DD saved our marriage.  It isn't true for every marriage, but it is for ours.  But a line I now quote to myself also saved us. :)  Here is how it came to be, and what it is. :)

Years ago, before DD, our marriage hit rock bottom.  Then we started DD, and our marriage was AMAZING.

But then it happened, the Duke slid back.  This past summer, I wanted my marriage to end.  If you read my blog last year, you might have noticed that through spring and summer, most of my posts did not deal with us at all, or were mostly of me in a dark place... I just didn't share how horribly bad it had gotten.  I couldn't, I was too hurt.  I shared a few rough starts to DD on here, but they'd last a day, and then nothing.  The Duke made no other attempts at our marriage.

It was bad.  I won't go into the details, it's hard on the Duke to rehash, and honestly, isn't fair to him either to bring it all back up.  He's changed, we don't need to keep going back, but he agreed, that for this post, it wouldn't make sense without sharing some of what happened.  He ignored me, and treated me like my only value was to cook and clean for him.  It was a long time of him not talking to me at all.  I was so neglected, I was so hurt.  He left every decision up to me.  I wanted to leave, I couldn't, we have agreed to never divorce, and I could never bring myself to do it.  I could never walk away.  But one night in early September, it looked like the Duke might have betrayed me, not cheating, but that he'd stabbed me in the back.  Thankfully he hadn't.  But during it, I had to fight to stay until he could come home and clear things up.  I had no way of contacting him that day, and we were just in such a bad place already.  I looked at my daughter, my beautiful, at the time three year old, sweet little girl, and I couldn't do that to her.  Take her from her Daddy.  She'd have been devastated.  But, we couldn't keep living the way we did in our marriage, that was not a healthy example for her either.  And I wanted her to see more strength in me than just being a doormat.

So, I had to do something.  But, let's face it, sometimes when we're the only ones fighting for our marriages we're just exhausted from trying.  We have given past what we can, we have nothing left.

I had to stop holding resentment.  I had to stop having a victim mentality in my marriage. 

I learned something during last summer.  Another blogger helped me a lot to be honest.  I was done with my marriage, and she convinced me to keep trying, to not give up.  Over and over again she encouraged me for months.  But I'd already given all I could.  The Duke didn't deserve me to give more, right???  It made me so mad to think that my marriage was dead, and it was still my responsibility to fix it when he felt fully loved and contented and I was the one who was so hurt and miserable. 

But what it all taught me was this. I can always fight more for my marriage than I think I can, even if I think there is absolutely nothing left.  I can always give more to get to that goal I want for us and our marriage.  When I think I've given all I can, that I am completely depleted, I still have more hidden somewhere, even if I begrudgingly and almost hatefully gave it at first.

So, I took on a new motto.  I didn't mean to, but in the midst of it all, this started to emerge, and I said it often.

What do I REALLY WANT for my marriage?
Now, what do I HAVE TO DO to get it?

Taking on that line changed me.  It gave me energy when I had none.  It silenced me when I wanted to tell my husband off.  It helped me praise him when all I wanted to do was tear him down.  It helped me work harder when I just wanted to quit.  It made me swallow my pride when I felt I was too good to lower myself to do things I felt he should be doing to fix us.  It helped understand instead of just lay blame.

At times I had to apologize when I didn't want to, especially when I felt his side of things was way more to blame.  I had to work harder when I was exhausted.  I had to admit when I was failing, even if it was embarrassing.  I had to admit where I was enabling his bad treatment of me.  I had to do so many uncomfortable things, things I hated, but knew our marriage would not survive if I did not.  Did I want a better marriage?  Because if I did, I had to suck it up at times, and do what needed to be done to get us to where I wanted us to be.

I wanted love.  I wanted our marriage to work, for us to be happy, for us to thrive.  I wanted DD, D/s, BDSM, because our marriage works better with it.  So everything I did was with all these goals in mind.

And what happened?  The marriage you've been reading about since fall.  The marriage, where for the first time ever, my husband fights for us as much as I do.  The marriage that the second the Duke notices space between us, he now steps in to fix before I even get a chance.  We make decisions together, check in on each other, fulfill each others needs, and each others fantasies.  He is happiest leading, and I'm happiest following.  I'm happy.  I'm fulfilled.  I do not ever go to bed crying anymore like I did before all this.

I have all I ever dreamed of, and more.  I'm spanked, cuddled, held accountable and bossed at times.  I have rules.  I'm cared for.  I matter.  I am fully loved.  The Duke seeks me out to be intimate, he never did in our marriage before.  He can't keep his hands off me now.  I kneel naked at times.  I'm lectured.  I'm plugged.  Lately I'm even cleaned out because he's worried about a health issue I'm having.  I'm tied up.  Sex is amazing.  I'm told to obey.  I'm told to submit.  AND I LOVE IT, every freaking minute. :) 

It did not happen over night.  It didn't happen in a month.  But I just kept asking myself what I wanted for my marriage, and then asked my self what I had to do to get us there.  It wasn't going to fix itself.  Someone had to fight for it.  I had to be that someone.  So now, every choice, I'm very aware of the future, and where I want us to go.


Made these little guys by mistake one day by playing with making swirls on my computer.  Loved them when I realized they made a couple. :)

So... just a line that has completely changed how I look at my marriage.  It doesn't just happen.  In our dynamic I have given up control in many, many areas.  But in this, I have control.  I have control over whether my marriage is working.  So does the Duke, and for the first time, he's taking ownership and fighting for us too.  We can let our marriage run its own course, but that is never good.  Or we can grab it by the horns, reign it in, and tell it what path to take. 

And I still have that blogger, and now also a commenter who has become a great friend, to keep me in line if I'm not doing my best. :)  They don't let me get away with anything! :P  I never had people I was accountable outside my marriage, it really does help.

Not sure it will help anyone out there or not, but it's what has helped us.  Sometime soon we'll share another post with a second line that has helped me in our marriage.  Not as much as this one did, but still, helped a lot. :)

The Duke's Deductions:  Esmay's always fought for our marriage, and I'm glad this time she didn't give up.  She seems much happier now, and I'm glad we've moved forward, and that we moved past that period.  I am thankful she didn't give up, and that she found a solution for us.  I feel more confident with our marriage.  I want to do whatever I can to keep Esmay.  I want to take better care of her.  I can't imagine losing her.  I don't know what I would do if I did, that just sounds scary to me.  I'm just really happy that we realized how important our marriage is.  I love Esmay.

24 comments:

  1. Hi EsMay,

    I applaud you and the Duke for sharing this, it definitely can't have been easy and I'm sure it will help others who may be struggling.

    I'm so sorry you and the Duke were in such a dark place. Good on you for fighting for your marriage. Those are good and very important questions to ask and it takes digging deep.

    I'm so very glad you are in such a good place together now and that ttwd plays a part in that.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Roz, it was VERY HARD to share. It's been sitting in my drafts for weeks. I've tweaked it sooooo many times. And even since I posted, I have tweaked it a few times, afraid I've shared too much, but knowing I need to share something for it to make sense. So much of me wants to pull it back down, protect us, but I also feel I have to share in case those words help someone else.

      Thank you, we are in such an amazing place. It's not always easy, the Duke is asking... er, demanding more and more of my submission. Part of it is fun, and sexy, and some of it is hard as I let pieces of myself go to be entrusted in the hands of someone else. He's doing so amazing at it, just is still hard at times. :)

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  2. Awe! That is an awesome post EsMay! It shows the real side of this life. It also proves something the Sheriff and I say every year on our anniversary "we choose each other". Marriage is a choice. Sometimes a REALLLY hard choice. The Duke chooses to lead, and you choose to follow. You choose each other and everyday, you show that choice in every little thing you do (even, when you need a little push to get you there!😘)

    Hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Boo, I love that. I say that to the Duke often, well not during that hard time, it was too hard, but the rest of the time in our marriage, I have said "I still choose you. To do all over again, I would still choose you." :) I love that you guys say the same. :)

      Me??? Need a push? Don't you mean gigantic SHOVE??? LOL

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  3. EsMay,
    I was still a brand new blogger when you were going through the very hard parts of your summer, but I did pick up on the difference I read on your blog compared to earlier posts that I had read before I started blogging. I'm happy that you and your husband are in a really good place now and that you did whatever it took to get to today. And so that brings me to question that you do not have to answer if you don't want to....... but it's an interesting thought..... what about your behavior and actions was it that made the Duke step back in and fight for your marriage, dd/bdsm and all ? Did he notice your extreme hard work at surpressing resentment, your apology, your patience? What was it? I ask because I once said to a friend behind the blog that I couldn't be submissive without Storm being dominant first ... the friend disagreed and said the submissiveness could bring out his dominance. Thanks for sharing this difficult post. Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting dominance and submission with submission first is very hard. But that is how I did it. How another friend in blog land is doing it. It takes A LOT of patience, and often involves a lot of tears. But it can be done. And maybe for some people, it is easier, but for me and the friend I know who tried it first, it was very hard.

      Some examples are... that I wasn't allowed to ask the Duke any questions. Any. He'd get mad. So that made it hard to get his direction, or even to meet his wants because I didn't necessarily know what they were. I started making sure to have supper ready, or close to ready when he came home because I knew he liked that. I am horrible at getting the bed made, but I made sure it was made for him daily, that he always had clean clothes, food he liked to snack on, time to himself each night, etc. Even though he wasn't meeting my needs in return, I still chose to meet his. It took a while. And to be honest, the real change came after a fight. We don't fight, but this one night we did. I was beyond hurt, and told him how bad it had gotten. I told him I was dying inside, never allowed to ask him anything without him flying at me. Never being able to talk to him anymore, and how much it hurt that he never sought me out, ever. That he never planned dates, never wanted to be intimate. It was like he thought I didn't exist. It was a long fight. Hours. Since this is not normal for us, we were both exhausted afterwards. He thought because I don't harp on him all the time, that I was truly happy, even though I'd brought issues up to him that were hurting me over time. I told him I didn't want to be a nagging wife, but that I was dead serious in being hurt and feeling utterly and completely alone. But I would tell him that in the past, and then step back for 6 months, trying to give him room to grow. But I told him this one time in September that I was tired of telling him every six months for 10 years, that if I kept bringing it up, even only twice a year, didn't he realize I was serious? That is when the real change happened, when he finally, after years of marriage, realized he was hurting me. We had that fight because I knew I needed him to really listen to me, to really understand how important this was to me, and that I couldn't just pretend any longer to be happy, or try with all my might to find reasons to be happy, because I'd run out of reasons in our marriage. It was really hard, but he changed almost instantly. He realized how close he'd come to completely losing my love. That even though I'd never leave, my heart might have. I think I truly scared him. That wasn't my intent, but, at least he was seeing the truth, finally. I don't think we'll ever end up back there again. He now realizes if I say something, I really mean it. That it's not just a bad day, that I don't just blurt things out for no reason. He's really seeing me as a person with feelings, with him having the ability to hurt me. I don't think he ever thought he had that power before. I think now he realizes it, and is very careful with it. He checks in with me often now to make sure I'm doing okay, that I've handled the things he's done, ways he's led, okay, and that my heart is in a good place. He's very vigilant now that I'm emotionally okay. He asks me every night now I'm doing, what he can do for me, and usually asks a few times a week if I feel loved. Does that answer your question? LOL I might have gotten side tracked. ;)

      Duke read this answer before I posted it, and he read your comment. He's going to comment tomorrow. He's just really tired tonight. :)

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
    2. EsMay,
      Yes, you answered my question quite thoroughly. Thank you for taking the time to do so. It's more than generous to share what makes us vulnerable. j

      I believe that not everybody can share their vulnerability or that when we do, we often get hurt, whether it is from a spouse or a friend. But, I do believe this is part of what you have done with your Duke. And that he finally got it after months of you living so selflessly. It blows me away. I don't think I could have done it, EsMay.

      The fight makes complete sense... the timing of it, the reasons for it, and the intensity of it. So glad for you that things are good for you both now and that you're taking care of him and he is taking care of you. Hugs! Windy

      Delete
    3. Hi, Windy. :) I will always try to answer questions. One, because it helps you guys that ask, and the readers. But also, it helps me. I don't get much time to contemplate or process in real life. It goes FULL TILT all the time. :) But having an excuse to sit down, put my fingers to the keys, and let my brain take over, is a wonderful gift to me. It helps me learn more and more about myself. :)

      It is very true about vulnerability. Also why I was TERRIFIED to share this, I am any time I put my heart and soul into a post. So many people could pounce on it, and attack, even though I consider friends. I have been very blessed that that has only happened a couple of times in the past six years, and not from friends. :)

      Oh, that fight, marriage wise, I'm so glad we had it, but man, it was hard, and part of me still feels very heavy every time I remember it. But it was a turning point, so I have to remember the good that came from it, and not the weight I carried when we had it. :)

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
    4. I feel that the main thing is that I thought things were okay before that. I did. I didn't realize that she was that hurt, or that she felt that way about the marriage. The trouble is that I can't tell by looking at Esmay if things are going or bad. I need to ask her, and have her tell me. I don't have the people skills to know. I really didn't know that was going on. I know she told me about it every six months, but because the other 362 days a year that she didn't bring it up, I thought things were going pretty good. I didn't realize how serious it was. I realized she was serious because she told me. I realized I had to be more dominant, meet more of her needs, find out what those needs were, and meet them, be willing to give more. I realized what I thought was working, wasn't, that she needed more control than I was giving, more discipline, less being accountable for everything. That night she wasn't willing to leave the argument until I understood. She didn't stop fighting until I got it. She was really upset, really upset at me. That still bothers me that she was that hurt.
      The Duke

      Delete
    5. To EsMay and The Duke,
      I am so happy for you both that you are in a really good place now because EsMay put in the very hard submissive and selfless work ...so that you could see how desperately she worked to get your attention, love, and control. This is what I hear you both saying. She still had to tell you because you weren't getting it, but once she told you, you had to have seen all what she was doing for your marriage ...... sounds like you got a wake up call. Good for you for caring and loving her enough to finally hear her... not all husbands and wives would do that for one another. Thanks for sharing, guys, and continued blessings for your marriage. There are great times and also times where it hurts, requires a lot of work, then add in the whole ttwd thing and boy do we all have to do! But then the fun and fulfillment is there as well. Hugs! Windy

      Delete
    6. Thank you, Windy. I am really glad he listened. Ecstatic even. He could have kept thinking it really was no big deal since I didn't bring it up often. But my mother nagged my dad all the time, and I never wanted to be that wife. And please know, I wasn't perfect either, I had many things to work on too, but I did try so hard to make us work. And I'm glad he's doing the same now. :) Yesterday I had three headaches combine, and he took such good care of me all day. Brought me food, medicine, looked after baby girl when he was tired. So blessed. :)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  4. Wow! Cheers for the hard work you've both done to get to this spot. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing this with blog land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline. I was amazed how hard this was to share. Maybe the hardest post yet, to be honest, but I'm glad I did. And you're welcome. Hopefully it will help someone else out there if they find they're in a really bad spot in their marriage as well.
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  5. I am so happy for you. DD saved our marriage many years ago and when we seem to drift from the DD, the arguing begins again. You and Duke are in a great place and I hope and pray that things continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blondie. It's amazing how on point it can keep us in our marriages, and how off we can get when it drifts to the side, isn't it? I'm amazed by it.
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  6. My first comment is for Duke:

    Duke, you take credit for your turn around too. Esmay did see what she wanted and did fight for it, that is true, but you had to decide to allow those changes in her to not only effect you but allow you to move in a direction that helped her feel better.

    When I brought Dd to B in 2012 I told him I wasn't happy- and that I thought Dd might be able to help me be unguarded. I wasn't sure how, but it seemed to help others. Years later he still beats himself up that he didn't see what I needed. Of course, like many the longer we lived this dynamic the more things (past hurts ) were discovered. These often stumble B or derail him for a bit because again he feels like he should have known. But how could he have? I lived a life that showed him I could take care of it all and then later said I need to not live like this- the life I, in part created.
    My point is, hearing the words expressed from your wife about how she felt could not have been easy for you to hear. Many men would have holed themselves away as a failure ( regardless of what their wives did after). You didn't let regret oppress you. That is a very difficult thing. None of us are perfect and I truly believe I contributed to the disconnect I felt in my marriage every bit as much as B if not more so. I hope you realize that what you have been able to do these past 6 months; rewire your brain, turn down the volume on insecurities and focus your attention where your wife told you she needed it- was no small feat. You should be very proud of yourself. Many relationships fall apart after Dd is brought into it ( sadly ) but this time you decided to follow her into this dynamic and learned how to show her love in ways she needs. Your marriage is better because of that.

    EsMay, I agree, we can submit without dominance. I don't necessarily think ( from observations ) that every man will be built up because of it (not that you said that). I think when many of us 'submit' to get the ball rolling with Dd D/s we are really just letting our guard down and showing our husbands how we want to be treated by treating them in a thoughtful and respectful way. As we discussed in chat, there is a fine line (if any) between being a good wife/spouse and a husband/dominant. Many things look the exact same, especially when it comes to anticipating the needs of the other. Perhaps submitting to Duke did more for you, as you became softer in the process and this allowed Duke to feel okay to step up in areas?

    Regardless, it is great that you both feel that each other is invested in this relationship equally now.

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willie, I don't even have words to say thank you the right way. I have thanked the Duke so much, for the changes he's made, and he's very grateful I do, but I think these words will really touch him. Someone from the outside who knows he's worked really hard. He really could have refused to listen. He could have turned inside himself, and left me outside alone. I will never stop being thankful he met me in the middle, and that we work together now. I can see a lot of what you have said here, and in chat, that Barney and him are similar in several ways. Not in others, but still, several things sound very much alike. I told the Duke he has to get on soon and read your comment. :) And respond to Windy's. lol
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
    2. Thank you, it was a lot of work. It was worth it. It meant a change in attitude, and that was a lot of hard work. I'm glad Esmay has noticed, I really thought she was going to leave, I really did. I'm glad she's happier now. Even for the few months after the fight, I worried she still might end up leaving, but she says she's happy and here for the long haul.
      The Duke

      Delete
    3. You cannot imagine how many times I will probably be rereading this. Thank you for sharing. Marriage is a rocky road in the best of circumstances and even in long term marriages there are boulders to be moved.
      Currently working it through in our home - bumpy roads and all. You've expressed beautiful words of love of hope.

      Delete
    4. OH, Deena, I'm so glad it touched you so. I was so hoping, and praying, that by being this vulnerable, we would help someone out there. I never thought of it that way, but that's so true. Even in long term marriages, there are boulders to be moved. :) Hmm, that has me thinking now, about how to move them, or climb over them. Thank you for the analogy. :)
      EsMay

      Delete
  7. thank-you for sharing such a heartfelt topic with so much honesty. It means a lot. There have been moments like this in my marriage, nights where I have fallen asleep crying. But no matter what we will keep working for each other because our love is strong and forever present. I am glad the Duke listened to your needs and that you communicated with each other and made the changes to find happiness. My husband is amazing and I love him dearly but he is oblivious - and I don't mean this with any disrespect. He truly things everything is okay during times when I see things differently. Knowing that about him, how could I give up without keeping on trying to tell him in any way possible so he understands so at the end of the day we can keep finding each other. I know we always will. I like the sentiment of continually working...even when sometimes it is hard. It's worth it. :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Terps. :) I totally understand what you mean by saying your husband is oblivious, and you don't mean that disrespectfully. I have to watch for that in our marriage. Most times, the Duke does not notice things at all, in our marriage, family, house, car, etc, that are very noticeably wrong to me. I love how you put it though, knowing this, how could you not keep going to him and telling him. That is what I do. Sometimes more calmly than others, but usually I'm able to stay level headed about it. :) It's only if something keeps getting ignored that I bring up that I struggle with the patience. I also love how you said "we keep finding each other", that is so incredibly sweet. I really love the idea of that. I think I may have to use that in our marriage. :) Yes, continually working. :) And oh, my, yes, constant work, but you are so right, it is worth it. Besides grief, our marriage is the hardest thing I've ever had to work at, and yet, where we are now, it was definitely worth it. He was worth it. :)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  8. Not only was this a brave post to write and publish, but it seems to have touched a chord with so many readers. I love the tenacity and love that brought you to this new place in your marriage.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ella. I am so thankful it touched people. I prayed it would, because I felt I was supposed to share, but it was so hard. I worked on this post for weeks, and even still, probably edited it a half dozen times once I published... I definitely felt vulnerable with this one. But in case we could help even one marriage, I felt I had to share. I say that to myself whenever a post is really hard. :)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.