Friday, November 02, 2018

A Fun Fact About Me

For those of you worried that I don't have any another creative outlets and needed to find other things to make besides implements, I promise, I have some. :)  Here are just a few things I've made.  Just thought I'd share a passion of mine with you.  I'm not good at a lot of things, but I like to be crafty, can't seem to stop myself.  I already showed you my digital creations last week and some of the implements I've made, so I'll show you some hand made things today.  The thing I love about my creative side is that every time I make some digital art, or craft, or project, the Duke just looks at it afterwards in awe and says "I can't believe you made that.  That's amazing."  Or something to that effect.  I love how good that makes me feel.  He would kind of just acknowledge it before DD, now he stands in awe.  I love how much DD has changed him, helped him open up, and share with me. :)  His compliments make my heart soar.

I am an avid knitter.  I made these stockings for us last year.  I erased out our names, but they were done in the colour of the top band of each sock. :)  Mine is in the middle... hehehe didn't mean for it to be the largest.  HAHAHAHA  Not complaining mind you. lol  At some point I may remake them more the same size, but not this year. :)  Or I may just rip the toes out on the Duke's on the left and make it longer. :)


The Duke loves Mario, so I made him a set of coasters out of perler beads a few years ago for Christmas. 


I crocheted these two hats and two blankets for a friend who had twins this year.  The deep waffle pattern made for really squishy warm blankets, they are folded into fours here.  Now I want one.  lol


I made this quilt about 8 years ago.  The denim is starting to wear. :(  This is when it was brand new.  This bed is now my parents.


And I love making teddy bears.  Haven't done it since baby girl was born.  I should try again.  I don't have any myself, I've given them all as gifts.  


Made this knitting roll when keeping all my different sized needles separated, especially those that weren't labelled for size, kept getting mixed up.  I could only find knitting rolls with 8 slots, so I made this.  For any knitters out there, this has rows of long needles, then crochet hooks, then double pointed needles, then tools, then circular needles.  Each column has all the same size hooks and needles.  I love this thing.  It's about 6 years old I'd say, and my best knitting friend.


And this is the blanket I knit for baby girl while I was pregnant. :)  


I took up knitting especially because in my late 20's I was getting arthritis in my wrists and fingers.  This completely reversed it.  15 years or so later, and I have no arthritis for years.

This post isn't DD, sorry.  But thought I might share a bit about who I am.  I love to craft.  Christmas ornament time is coming, and I'm excited.  I also decorate cakes, make fleece car seat ponchos for children in car seats, etc and can follow any lego building instructions. ;)

12 comments:

  1. Hi, EsMay! Wow!!! So interesting that the knitting actually helped the arthritis. I am glad you shared your crafty and artistic side here on your blog with us. I want to know more than just DD stuff because all of our parts make up who we are. I think your work is amazing.... I cannot do any of the things you have posted here, but I wish I could! And so over the years, have you found these things help you deal with stress and give you some quiet time for your brain to settle things, too? I think you should make a paddle out of felt just for the fun of it and see what the Duke says about that. hahahaha Keep exercising your artistic side. You are quite talented! Thank you so much for sharing this side of yourself! Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am amazed at how it's helped my hands. :) And thank you, I have loved learning these crafts, and have offered to teach people. Not many people take me up on my offers, but I still offer because I was so excited when I learned, especially knitting. :) And yes, definitely helped me deal with stress. The year we lost our son in February 2011, 8 people in my life had babies before the end of the year. It was so hard. So I decided to knit them all blankets. It was so cathartic. It helped me process to have my hands busy. HAHAHA A paddle out of felt, that is awesome! It would feel like he was hitting me with air. LOL I'd have to pretend like he was nearly killing me though so that it would become his favourite implement. LOL ;)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  2. Holy Crow Esmay!

    That is so amazing! I have always wanted to learn to knit and crochet! I didnt know that knitting would reverse arthritis!

    Gosh, maybe in your other life you could post some "how to" videos.

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Boo. :) :) I doubt I'll do how to videos, but I used them when learning after I was taught the basics. I could totally hook you up with some good ones. :) And I heard that keeping your hands busy helped, and I always wanted to knit, so when a friend learned, I asked her to teach me. She knew the two basic stitches and I learned from there. :) It's seriously addicting. :) :)
      EsMay

      Delete
  3. Goodness, EsMay, you are a woman of many talents. Your creations are beautiful.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie. :) Oh, thank you so much. It's always nice to make things that people like. Thank you. :)
      EsMay

      Delete
  4. Hi EsMay! :) I loved seeing, and hearing about your crafty side! You do beautiful work! The thing 1/ thing 2 hats are just the cutest!! I thought your baby blanket that you knit for your daughter was gorgeous!

    I can so appreciate all of the time and effort, and most importantly love that go into handmade items. I very much enjoy these things too. I weave a lot, and knit, and just learned to crochet a week ago or so. I’m presently working on so many projects. Rob teases about it being too many, but he knows and appreciates how it goes. I just got into crocheting Sophie’s Universe, which is a crochet-a-long. Maybe you’d like to do one? Check it out on Ravelry/online. There are videos for every section too. Am loving it! Thanks again for sharing! Many hugs,

    ❤️Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. I didn't know you knit too! I love finding others who like knitting. I feel closer to you now just knowing that. :) :)

      I'll have to check out Sophie's Universe tonight. I've never done a crochet-a-long. That would be sooo cool. I've wanted to try one with making crocheted animals, but haven't had the time yet. And it is also so cool that you weave! A friend of mine has a large loom, and someday I'd really love to give it a try. :) :) It looks really fun. :) Thank you so much for sharing too. Talking to a fellow crafter is such fun. :)

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  5. Hi EsMay,

    Wow, you are so talented! These are so awesome, you do do beautiful work.I enjoyed this glimpse into your crafty side. I don't have an artistic or crafty bone in my body lol, and am always a little envious of those who do.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Roz. If it helps, I don't have many other types of bones in my body, and am often so lost in other things. Like mechanics, social skills, mathematic equations, etc. But crafting, it's my safe place. :)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  6. You are very talented! I knit too; however, I haven't done much stranded knitting at all. I keep saying that I am going to do stockings for our family, but... Lol.

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Princessimp. I have to actually work more on stranded knitting. These were my first real attempts, and as much as I tried, the tension still was a bit tight in a couple places. I do hope to practice it again in the future, but for now, they turned out better than I hoped. :) Stockings take a long time, but they also last a long time, I think if you did them, you'd love them. :)
      EsMay

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.