Thursday, May 29, 2014

Our Consistency?

This was written a couple of weeks ago, May 15th, the visit I talk of with my Dad, started that night, and they left this past Tuesday morning, so they are not here now.  I do plan to write some new posts soon, there just has not been time.  Been to the doctors a bit lately too, been really tired, and just not able to keep up.  I'll try to explain it all soon.  Just know that things are well, and my health isn't in danger. :)  So here is what I wrote a few weeks ago...

I'm still here.  It seems the more I try to cut back on stuff, the more busy I actually am.  The Duke and I have not had any real time together in weeks, something we hope to rectify once my parents are gone.  We decided this morning to book Tuesday evenings as a NO BOOK time, it's our time, date night, nothing else is allowed to be booked then.  I can't wait! :)

So, a few weeks ago I said that I had a question I had done up for chat that I really wanted to discuss here.  As you can see, I have not posted in several days!!!  Wow.  So I decided to finally get to the question that was a real eye opener for me. :)

The topic I had done that week was "Consistency"  And one of the questions I had asked was "We often talk about an Hoh's responsibility to be consistent, but what about the subs responsibility to be consistent in their behaviour?"

I don't know where that question came from, I can only assume God, because I pray about each week before I do it, to make sure I'm asking the questions that will help people/couples most.  But this question really struck me.

I do try very hard to be consistent, but do I see that as my role as much as it is his?  Until then, probably not.  I think I thought more along the lines that if I was having a bad day, that's okay, the Duke will help me.  And he does, but I think I was too dependant on that.  I think there were times I could do more on my own, and didn't, making him have to step up more.

So, over the past few weeks, I have been paying real attention to my consistency in being submissive, obedient, and respectful.  And I notice I'm not doing too bad.  I'm not saying this to brag.  But it's good to see that I'm growing in this too.  That I'm making better choices, and doing what I can to honour the Duke.  A year ago I cannot say that I was working on my own consistency.  I thought it was all the Duke's job to make me behave, not really seeing how much responsibility I had in that as well.  I wasn't a bad wife, I did most of the common courtesty things... I just... put me ahead of him more than not. :( 

And then last night happened, I was PMSing, and was really struggling not to let it show in front of my dad.  I want him to respect me, and not see me as this broken child from all that has gone wrong in my life.  I want him to see me as strong.  But last night, I went out to pull down laundry off the line, and the Duke joined me.  I spewed for about 30 seconds, and then the Duke put his arm around me, and that's all I needed to remember I could calm down.  I didn't need to let the war going on inside me win.  It was a very hard next hour, emotions ragged through me, and I went from wanting to laugh, to throw a temper tantrum, to needing to cry my eyes out.  The only part I showed was the laughter.  And after?  I didn't have anything to regret.  So, in this too, I'm going to learn to be consistent. :)  I might fail several times in the learning, but I will learn it. :)

So now I'm looking at consistency in a way I love.  It's both our jobs.  I do try my best to be consistent, but now that I actually see it as my job, it's taking on a much deeper, loving meaning. Lately we've been at the point that it's rare for me to even get one spanking a month for discipline, still have maintenance and stress relief.  I am not saying I have DD down pat everyone, there is still SO MUCH for me to learn, I just tend to be someone who always thrived best being led, and very rarely want to act out against that.  Being led makes me so happy, so fulfilled, so complete that I just settle into it and love it's comfort.  I actually envy those of you with more spunk, more cheek, though I'm sure my bottom doesn't.  LOL  But because of this, that is why I am so big on submission exercises.  It's a way for the Duke and I to keep practicing our roles without me getting frazzled or bratting and earning a spanking.  And so in that, I am learning to be consistent too.  To find ways to keep my submissive mindset, to find ways to help foster the Duke's dominant side.  To create peace and harmony in our marriage to last a life time.  And in times that obeying is hard, I'm learning that being consistent makes it easier to swallow my pride and do what is right.  The Duke has me, that is part of his being consistent, and I don't have to worry about obeying because he's showing me it's the right thing to do.

So, all in all, consistency to me, as my role, is my drive and ability to follow the rules set before me, to be steady and honest.  I want the Duke to be able to depend on me to do what he's asked.  I want him to know that if something happened that he wouldn't find out about, I'll still tell him.  I want to be consistent in my willingness to follow his lead, and submit, even when it's not the first thing I want to do.  I tend to be a bit all over the place with my emotions, and I want to make sure that doesn't spill over into my ability to give of myself in any are of my life to my husband freely, whenever he needs, or wants.

What does consistency look like for you? :)

- The Duke's Deduction:

Hi Guys,

I am very proud to see how much EsMay is practicing consistency in her submission. She is really trying hard to make this work, and I appreciate that. I do have trouble being consistent. DD does not come naturally, and I struggle with being dominant sometimes. So I am so glad that my wife is there to help me along the way. We are learning this lifestyle one step at a time, and it is OK if it is not completely perfect, as long as it works for us. This really is making our marriage a lot better, and I feel it is making me happier in our marriage.  Thank you for trying so hard at this, EsMay, and not giving up on me.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Es May...see me sitting here with a huge smile on my face...you stated it beautifully and I am so very proud of you! You 'get' what many who have been practicing DD longer just don't understand.

    Hey Duke...you may not be what I term an alpha HoH but I do believe you are a caring HoH for whom leadership comes naturally...you just need to have as much confidence in yourself as you do in EsMay.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat. :) That really means a lot to hear you say you are proud. :) {{{hugs}}} I let the Duke know what you said too, and he was very honoured. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, and a subject that's not touched upon often enough in my opinion. Though the Hoh holds the ultimate responsibility, we are just as culpable for the success of our relationships. Starting with consistency. We trust in our Hohs to lead us, but they must also trust that we will follow. There is a certain maturity necessary for DD to work, I think. I know that if Ash and I had tried this dynamic in our first years of marriage, we would both have failed miserably. Excellent job EsMay, with reducing discipline spankings! Duke, its nice to hear from an Hoh who is as humble and caring as you. Its an awesome thing not to fit the stereotype of a Dom, because what EsMay needs is YOU. Its really wonderful to hear the two of you working so well together. And yay for date night :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for so many kind words. :) The Duke really is who I need. And whether his dominance changes, or stays the same, he's so great for me. And I think we could have started out our marriage with DD had we known, but I think that if I'd married younger, I wouldn't have been ready. You are right, there is a maturity that is necessary.

      Delete
  3. You bring up a very valid point that I think alot of wives need to remember as well. It is both parties responsibilities to be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how we feel. :) That it's my responsibility as much as it is his. :)

      Delete
  4. EsMay, this is a wonderful post. Consistency is a problem for both sides and it is so true that it is not always easy for the HoH and the submissive partner. It is great that you are spanked less for a punishment and your development into a more submissive mindset is awesome. I love that and I can only agree, it is hard work. Yes, there are definitely these times, when obedience is not easy. I am absolutely impressed that you noticed this change you went through during PMS. I think my difficulty has often enough been, that I did not notice anything until it was simply too late. And subduing the inner turmoil that is connected to PMS, is a real piece of work.
    I think what you wrote about the willingness to follow the Duke is pretty much at the heart of the matter. You want it, you are willing and able to swallow your pride, to overcome inner inhibitions to do as told, freely. I think that this is true submission and to do that, even when you are not ‘in the mood’ is what consistency is about. ... And it is an adorable achievement, too.
    You put it in a very lovely way and even though consistency is a problem that HoHs surely do encounter, DD woldn’t work in a relationship, if the submissive partner did not work on being consistent, too. Failures from both partners included.

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, so many wonderful points, thank you. And yes, I am willing to swallow my pride, but sometimes it does not always go down as easy. ;) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  5. Esmay, wonderful and thought provoking. I too thought it was all Foeman's responsibility to wrangle my temper and emotions, but I learned that my increased efforts at consistency led to his increased efforts at consistency too. Like you said we all slip but it the effort that my hubby notices. Hugs :-)
    Sass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sass, I could not have said it better myself. I really do believe these roles feed of each other, and if we both keep doing our best, it helps them do their best. :) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  6. Hi EsMay, :) I too think that you are on to something there with both parties needing to be consistent. Good for you I say! You make a wonderful point. Looks like you have made wonderful strives. :)

    I'm just one point of view, but I think that you go along and do the best you can with consistency, and it all kind of gels together in a good way, because both are trying. Rob is not always consistent, but I think that that is somewhat human nature. One can have an off day, be too tired, or whatever it is. You end up adjusting up. Sometimes, just a good talking to/discussion can work wonders sans the spanking in our place. In the same way, that can be true for us submissives as well- being human, we are bound to have that off day, leaving us with that red bottom- or not. It is about what you put into it I think. Sounds like you both are really giving it your all, as best that you can. That is what it is all about I think. Great post! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, we totally have off days. :) But that is the great thing about both working at it, to help support each other on days one is weak. :) This really has helped us both help each other. :) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  7. I think consistency is something both parties have to constantly strive for in a DD relationship. It's so easy to fall into old habits and old roles, especially at the beginning, that it really does take effort and work to practice being consistent in new or unnatural roles. You both should be proud of yourselves that you've come so far in doing that!

    I still struggle with being as consistent as my husband. I also fall into the thinking that, "Well, if I'm being ornery or moody, my husband will take care of it." It is just as much my responsibility as his, and there are definitely things I can do to help myself in my own role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do feel good that we're learning this stuff. :) And yes, it can be so tempting to just let the Duke take care of me, but I have to take care of him too, and sometimes that means taking care of me so he doesn't have to. :)

      Delete
  8. Well said EsMay! Thank you for putting this out there - it should be a big encouragement to many many couples.

    ♥ Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cali. :) And if not, it's still been a great encouragement to us. :)

      Delete
  9. Very well said, Es May! Consistency is important for both partners. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.