Sunday, February 03, 2019

DD Can Help Grief

For those of you that have joined us this year, you may not know this about us, but it's something I'm processing this week.  Eight years ago this coming week we welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world, and two hours later, had to say goodbye.  We knew when I was in labour he would not live long, the question was if he would be born alive at all, so those two hours were very precious to us.  We took more photos of him in that two hours than we probably did of baby girl in her first three days or more. lol.

First of all, please, those of you that have been reading for years, because we talked of him often, you probably remember his name, if you do, could you not share it in the comments? :)  Just trying to protect our privacy more now.  Thank you.

So, I'm looking back, and am so glad we have DD, D/s now.  They are great for grief.  It is so helpful, at least as a tih.  I can't speak for the HOH, I'll ask the Duke if he'll post his thoughts below. :)  But for me, how we live was great for my grief. 

50%  That is the number of marriages that apparently split after the loss of a child, even within hours after birth.  50%  That is also the number of women who try to commit suicide after losing a baby during the post partum period.  A social worker during labour delivered these not so happy numbers.

Those of you who read back 5 or 6 years ago will know all this I'm about to share, sorry for the repeat.  To understand where I was to see how much the Duke helped me, I was labelled "Severe Post Partum accompanied by Grief".  Those are forever imprinted on every single medical file I have, no matter that I have healed and am well past that now.  I know I wasn't weak, but still, part of me feels it's a forever record of just how bad I fell apart.  Grief is it's own depression.  It isn't known if I would have had Post Partum naturally, I didn't with our daughter, but the hormones and grief set it off.  My milk still came in, that inner voice to check on your child every few hours stayed for a few months, and more.  I was also diagnosed, because it was my first child, as having loss of identity as a mother, even though several tried to tell me I was still a mom.  The last of the four depressions was a crisis of faith.  I felt God had used my hearts desire against me, we weren't supposed to be able to have our own children, and felt teased with the miracle of getting pregnant and then him being stolen from me, etc.  I felt He had utterly and completely betrayed me and it took a long time for my anger against Him to pass.  All of this was explained to me by someone in the mental health field when they saw I was getting confused over all the terms the counsellor and psychiatrist were throwing at me.  (Doctors got me to go for a handful of visits to both afterwards)  My plate was full, and she proved it.

In the middle of all this, I call it hell, there was the Duke.  The reason I didn't commit suicide was because first of all, I'm a chicken, I couldn't seem to do it, but also, the Duke kept barging in and not letting me have the time to get talk myself into being brave enough to do it.  In fact, the Duke fought a knife away from me one day, and I even got a nick in the fight against him.  The poor man, how I must have scared him. :( :(  I feel HORRIBLE about that now.  I just was so out of my mind missing my son.  The reason our marriage is still intact is because, when it got to it's worst, and I tried to leave the house and never, ever come back, I wanted to be anywhere else, because anywhere else wouldn't hurt as bad, the Duke blocked the doors and refused to let me leave in the condition I was in.  I can't thank him enough.  And then we started DD.  Having his strength, having him help me cry out all the negative emotions, being held accountable for how I lived my life when I was self destructing on my own, helped me so much.  The Duke behind me gave me the freedom to fight with God and go back to Him.  When I would get too dark, the Duke had the right to make me face the day, to rescue me from sinking deeper into oblivion or hatred.  When I would get angry at the world, he'd spank me if I needed so that I could cry it out, and realize it was just my pain talking.  When things became overwhelming, he could step in and tell me I'd done enough, that I needed to rest and not worry about what others thought.  It was so freeing to answer to someone instead of being in charge of it all myself.  In a way, it rescues you from having to figure out for yourself what you need compared to what you want to do.

One night, I'll never forget, he had gone earlier in the week and found a Jane Austen movie playing on TV without telling me.  He then got a treat for take out that night, and brought it home.  He pulled up the movie on Masterpiece Theatre when it came on and told me he wanted to watch it with me.  And he did, he watched the WHOLE thing and repeated the whole evening a week or two later when Masterpiece Theatre played another Jane Austen movie.  My husband, and Jane Austen, never, but because he loved me, and wanted to do something nice for me in the middle of all the pain, I will never, ever forget that.  It was a crummy old apartment, we didn't have money for good food, my heart was in a million pieces, but I will forever cherish that among my most favourite memories ever.

So, grief is one of the things you don't hear often about in this lifestyle, but another reason I'm so glad we have it.  This year, it's amazing how much healing there has been.  I don't feel tears remembering our son today, and I'm not digging too deep inside myself today so that I stay that way. :)  That could change on his birthday, I don't know, but for now, I'm in a much better place because of how the Duke helped me.  Time didn't help, it was supposed to, that is what everyone says, but it didn't.  In fact, until DD really took root, (over two years later) I was getting worse every day.  The anger and bitterness, fear and hurting, grew to very scary depths.  As my friend's former fiancé said when they found out we practice DD, "She can go from happy to dark in 0 to 60.  This could be good for her."  He and I didn't really get along usually, but what he said was so true because of the grief.  And DD really was good for me, during the grief, and several years past. :)

Thank you, Duke, for helping me get to where I am today.  I will never, ever forget how you saved me, and our marriage.  :)

The Duke's Deductions: 
You are very welcome Esmay. It was a very difficult process to get through when we lost out son. It was so sad getting to know him and then having to say goodbye and then all that time afterwards not understanding why we had to say goodbye, remembering the time I had with him, and being sad about missing him. I really want to thank Esmay for staying with me through it. I think DD does help because it gave me something to focus on, and another person  (my spouse) to think about. I feel that it helped Esmay and our relationship for us to use DD at that time. I remember hearing that it is easy to break apart if after losing a child you don't go through things together. I thought DD was a good way for us to still work on our relationship and still focus on each other. I am thankful Esmay went through this with me.

12 comments:

  1. I remember a documentary on twins I saw once a couple of years back. The mothers interviewed spoke of their experiences with the death of one twin and how it affected how they felt about the other twin. How it wasn't fair that one survived and the other didn't. Also how it took away from their enjoyment of the one who lived because the loss of the other. And I remember one woman in particular saying one of her counselors told her this: "God did not take away your child. He GAVE you the child (for whatever time she had it...I think it was like you...a couple minutes or hours) and you need to focus on the time you had him/her. God gave you the time he wanted you to have with the child. Submit to God's will in the situation and let it go." The woman said that from that day forward she could see it differently. I never forgot that program. I would never dare to say I understand because I have never lost a child. But your blog post reminded me of her. I am sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desiree, it really can make a difference to be told God gave us that child. Well, not at first, it's too hard to hear things like that at first, your heart is just too broken, but a few months in, that can offer a lot of comfort. :) It still really hurts, but there is more of a blessing in the pain while you heal. :)
      EsMay

      Delete
  2. Hi EsMay,

    I'm so sorry you are facing such a sad anniversary. I simply can't imagine or begin to understand the loss of a child. I am so glad you are able to look back and recognise healing.

    I do remember your precious boy's name and I remember how absolutely thrilled I was for you and the Duke with the arrival of your sweet little girl. I feel priviledged to have been there, if only via email through your pregnancy and remember praying so hard for her safe arrival.

    I'm so glad you posted this, it cannot have been easy. This post shows how many different aspects of life and in how many ways ttwd has a positive impact. This post is also a wonderful reflection on how far you have come and grown in ttwd.

    Thinking of you both.

    Much love
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, I love that you remember his name. Even though I can't share it on here anymore, just, people knowing who went through the grief with me back then on here, is so special. :)

      Yes, baby girl was such a huge blessing, and helped me heal even further from it. And we were priviledged as well to have you with us through blog and emails. :) This community supported us sooo much. I'll never forget when we shared the news we were expecting again. The tears and shouts for joy people shared. That was so amazing. Hmmm, maybe I'll share that post as a throwback this week. :)

      Hugs, and much love as well, EsMay

      Delete
  3. EsMay, glad that you two are able to face this anniversary together. I love that Duke contributed on this post.

    Over the years I have known several families that have gone through the death of a child. It is the hardest thing that they have ever been through. At least one marriage ended, too.

    I have known grief and depression as well. And I truly wish Sam and I had ttwd at that point in our lives. I am so glad that you and Duke have that strength to see you through.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella, I couldn't believe how hard it was, and we only had two hours. I think of people that have their children for longer, and how they must fall more and more in love over time, I know I have with our daughter, and just, if what we went through was hard (though post partum made it horrible) how hard it must be for people to lose children when they are older.

      50% is definitely a scary number, but we internalize in grief, and it can be so hard to remember to reach out to each other, the pain is so blinding, that becomes all our world is about. I'm sorry your friends did not make it through. :(

      It was a blessing when we brought DD in, I wish we'd done it sooner in some aspects, but in others, I'm just so glad we did start it, no matter when. :)

      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  4. This post had me in tears. You are so strong, stronger than you give yourself credit for. I am so glad that DD helped and is still part of your marriage. Great big hugs to you. Geez, there is so much more to say but just know that I am here for you, standing in your corner, cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blondie, you are so incredibly special. Thank you. You are strong too. {{{HUGS}}} I loved the post you shared last week about your dad, and missing him probably made this post harder to read. I'm sorry. Thank you for your kind words, they were so special to my heart. I'm standing in the corner as well, cheering for you too.
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  5. I am very sorry EsMay, that you and Duke have been through the loss of a child. It is a hard road to travel. So good that you found DD to help you along the way ... Hugs! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, NoraJean. It definitely was by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and I would never want to repeat it, but thankfully we have come a long way in our healing in eight years. I never thought I'd reach this point where smiles happen way more often than tears, but we do. :) Sometimes I still cry thinking about him, but not often. Even last year I couldn't talk about him without crying, so healing is still happening.
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete
  6. You always know how to explain a situation that others would find difficult to explain. I know that this was the hardest thing you could have ever gone through, but your grace and persistence has been such a testimony of your faith. I appreciate you, my friend, and all the things you've taught me.
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Baker. It was definitely the hardest thing, and I'm so glad for the healing that has taken place. I have to chuckle over saying I know how explain something... if you could only see how I agonize over each post, and go over it several times, trying to see if I'm really getting my heart into it, how I feel, how I'm succeeding or struggling, etc. :) But thank you, I'm glad that the effort is coming through to show how I'm really feeling. It means digging deep, sometimes that's hard, but I've always found it worth it. :)
      Hugs, EsMay

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.