Monday, March 05, 2018

Finally Saw and Read Fifty Shades

I finally caved, and after all your wonderful reviews, saw the movie Fifty Shades of Grey with the Duke a week or so ago. :)  I then proceeded to read both Fifty Shades of Grey, and Grey by myself.  I would only suggest reading Grey for two reasons.  One, if rereading Fifty Shades of Grey would interest you because many of the scenes are the same.  But I still found it very interesting to see Christian's point of view and hear thoughts we had no idea about in the first book, since the first book is only Ana's point of view, even on the same scenes.  And in the Grey book there is about 50 extra pages that I really think readers would like that goes past what was shared in Fifty Shades of Grey.  It shares a lot about Christian and how he handles the last scene in the book, and goes into more detail about his childhood.  But maybe it's covered in Fifty Shades Darker. ;)

I loved this movie and books.  Love them.  I will try not to spoil things if you haven't read or seen the series.  Just my processing thoughts on things. 

The sex scenes bothered me a bit at first, but it quickly became a small thing compared to the relationship.  The writing for Fifty Shades of Grey isn't great, it's much better in Grey, but the plot is amazing, or I found it so.  I felt so much of it resonated with me, and I couldn't get it off my mind.  That is why I ended up reading the books right away.  I really loved the relationship between Christian and Ana.  I have some personal thoughts I have typed up about it, but don't feel ready to share.  Maybe soon. :)

I will say that I had read much bad about this movie and books, about abuse, manipulation, force, bullying, etc.  Since our relationship was all about consent, I was not interested at all in a trilogy that went against that. I just want to say that that isn't the case in the movie as I saw it, but maybe I am wrong.  This is how I saw it.  Except for going behind Ana's back for a safety issue, I found Christian was constantly checking with her to make sure she was willing at each step he took with her. Her consent was very important to him, in fact he was adamant about doing nothing she was against.  If she didn't ask, or didn't say it was okay, it didn't happen.

I guess there is one scene I can see that might bother people in the movie.  Christian gets up to leave after spending time with Ana, and says on a final note, after she asks, that she can only have a relationship with him if she agrees to the dominant/submissive lifestyle he says he needs.  It might come across as mean, bullying, and maybe forceful because he's basically saying this or nothing.  I am not sure that is exclusive to non-vanilla type relationships though.  We all have our list of needs, and don't we say we will only be with someone that meets them?  Whether it be commitment, honesty, faithful, dependable, wants kids, is good with money, gets along with family, gets along with current kids, religion, politics, what have you.  We all have a few needs we're unwilling to sacrifice, even for love.  So I'm not really sure that is reason enough to hate Christian.

I mean, I need a faithful husband, I need him to be honest with me, I need him to love me. Those things most people would understand.  But, I also need him to correct me, I need him to lead and be in charge, I need him to accept and even demand my submission.  I mean, I could function without those, but it'd be really hard, and I would not be happy try as hard as I have in the past, and might if it had to go back.  I HATED being in charge and leading my marriage and the Duke thinking I should have all the responsibility.  I felt myself die more and more every day as more and more responsibility was given to me, and the Duke could coast through our marriage because I was doing all the work.  That was how it was in his home, that is all he knew. My marriage died this way though, and I wanted out!  Our lifestyle saved our marriage.  Thankfully the Duke is very happy with our changes as well since we brought in our lifestyle.  I am doing a post up now about our lifestyle as we're such a mix of things and not just one thing.

So now I have the next movie coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow, and then I'll probably read both point of view books after, and then force myself to wait until I can get the last movie on DVD.  I hope Christian's point of view book is written by then for the last set, if E L James is even doing one.  I hope so. :)  I hope I like the next movies and books as much as I loved the first.

12 comments:

  1. I've seen them all now. And, of course, I read all the original books. They weren't the best books I've read or the best movies I've seen, but I did enjoy them. Most books I like aren't Pulitzer Prize winners! The second movie was my favorite. I haven't read Gray but I think I will now. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see Darker, and since it's your favourite, it must be good. :) Hopefully you like Grey, I really did. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, EsMay,
    We have only watched the first movie and it was interesting. I've not read any of the books, not sure when or if I will. Your review does make me curious, though. Thanks!

    Your being in charge and feeling the weight of the world is exactly where we were two years ago.

    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baker, It does feel so good to let that weight go, doesn't it? :) I would say the books aren't for everyone, and it took a few chapters for me to get past the writing as it was not great, but the story finally pulled me in and I often forgot about the writing after that. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Esmay, I loved the books and the films, glad you enjoyed them
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, can't wait to watch Darker tomorrow. :) Thank you for sharing your opinion before, it helped me decide. :)

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of the opinions of the movie came from people who never read the books (not going to comment on the quality of either here...LOL). The abuse statements come I believe because there is one thing omitted from the movies that was in the books- her inner Diva. Her inner monologue concerning how his dominance makes her feel is important to understanding why she submits in the first place. I can understand why it didn't make the movie but for those who live a D/s lifestyle the inner monologue of the submissive is the defining line between consent, manipulated consent and out and out abuse.

    Just my thoughts on the matter.

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, and now that you say that, I remember someone saying to me that Ana's thoughts not being shown in the movie really does change how it comes across. I'm interested to see how this plays out in the next movie. :) I hope to see it tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  5. It's been awhile since I read/watched the series, but I remember a lot of "controlling asshole-ry" that Ana didn't really consent to. Even with the flimsy contract, she doesn't understand what she's getting into.

    I also didn't like how it painted Christian as needing this, because of his traumatic past, that he's into this because he's broken; there's something wrong with him, and that's why he needs this.

    That all being said, I kinda want to read Grey now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't like how some people think there has to be something wrong with a person to practice this lifestyle. I like to think I'm mostly normal, and am loving our lifestyle, not quite what Christian wanted, but still, different than the norm.

      I liked Grey. :) Especially the stuff at the end about how he processes everything that happened. A couple things made him seem like a first class jerk, but it also showed him as a lot more human and endearing. Though, if you read it, and hate it, I'm sorry. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi EsMay,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I read the original trilogy and have only seen the first movie so far. I enjoyed the books more.

    I admit, I didn't get very far with Grey as it seemed to just repeat the first book and not much more. However, having read your thoughts I may have to pick it up again :)

    Thank you so much for your lovely emails too, I will reply shortly :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz. :) Grey really does follow Fifty Shades of Grey in many ways, that is why I suggest you only read it if you'd read Fifty Shades of Grey over again. :) There is lots of new material, but even more repeated material.

      And no worries, I've always known you write when you can, same for me back to you. :) You have been very understanding over the years as my world was crazy. :) {{{HUGS}}}

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.