Monday, April 21, 2014

To The New DDers. :)


I wanted to do a post for people starting out in DD. :)  Been getting a lot of emails, thank you to everyone, by the way. :)  And a lot of these emails are from women who are worried because the "rules" of DD aren't working for them.  So I wanted to share.

It's a little advice that I wish I'd understood in my first days.

"Make It Your Own."

You've probably heard this, but the concept is so much bigger than I first thought.  And after having various beginners write me to because they felt they were doing wrong because such and such a site (usually teaching sites) said they could only do things this one way, I wanted to share with you some examples of how it is okay to not be in "the box" of DD, examples of emails I have gotten, or pm's.  In these examples i'm going to use wife for the sub/tih, and husband for the Dom/HoH just to avoid confusion.  Any gender may be in these roles, and any relationship type.  Ours just happens to be marriage. :)

Bruises.
Probably the question I get most of all after sexual contentment.  So many women have been told from sites that bruises are bad.  Well, they may not be desireable, but that does not mean you or your husband did anything wrong.  I'm going to tell you a secret.  For a lot of women, bruises happen.  That's all there is to it.  I don't actually bruise anywhere else on my body except for a few extreme accidents.  BUT, get the loopy or carpet beater out, and I'm going to have bruises.  If you know about warm ups, they can help, but are not a guarantee.  After you do have bruises, I have heard that arnicia cream or white vinegar rubbed over the bruises can help them disappear faster.  But my biggest advice, don't worry when bruises happen.  In fact, some women love to carry around their bruises, it's like a badge of honour.  For men, if your wives tell you they don't feel abused or beaten, take them at their word. :)  You may even come to love the marks on her.  Women, if you don't feel abused or beaten, then the bruises will fade, and life will go on. :)  If it does feel like abuse then sit down and talk about it, and how it should maybe go different next time so that the feeling of abuse is not likely to happen.  The Duke and I had a few of those times where I felt like it crossed over into abuse, probably due to my abuseful past, but we worked through it, and now it's been a while since I had a night like that. :)

Rules.
I have gotten letters about this, but I fell for this trap myself.  I read a blog post on a blog that said to start DD with a list of rules, and start by using the 4 D's.  Disobedience, Disrespect, Dishonesty and Dangerous.  So we made up our LONG list of rules.  Well some we made up just because they were suggested, things I didn't even struggle with.  But then it became a rule, and all the sudden the pressure was there to make sure I didn't do it, something I'd never done before anyway.  I started second guessing myself all the time, every thing I did, it was in the back of my mind, am I don't the right thing?  It became oppressive and stressful.  It also was too many for the Duke to remember to keep track of, so if I messed up and he didn't notice, I felt I didn't matter.  I was working so hard to be good, and it didn't matter.  So over time, we have simplified the rules, and they are more of what we need, and not just to have rules.  A lot of rules may not work for you, and that is totally okay.  Maybe you only need one or two rules.  That's fine.  Maybe you need more rules, more accountability, and that is okay too.  What works for you, works for you. 

Butt Plugs.
Yeah, TABOO topic in the Domestic Discipline sphere, but I wanted to cover it briefly.  I have seen on sites people being publicly admonished for mentioning it as a way to help submission.  They were told it was only there to humiliate and degrade the sub, and not in a good way.  Well, I want to say that may be so in some marriages, but it might not be so in yours.  It isn't in ours.  It has been a tool used to help in submission.  If the sub does not feel she is being lessened as a person, and that is not the Hoh's intent, if the Hoh is trying to help the sub find submission, and the sub finds she flourishes, then use what works for you, even if others don't agree.

Punishements and Sexuality.
Some teaching blogs will tell you that it is flat out wrong to mix punishments with intimacy.  But, look at it this way, you have been told to be half naked or fully naked over your Hoh's lap.  You have then had their bare hand on your bare skin.  Not only that, but you're extra vulnerable after a spanking, in need of attention, love, cherishing.  These can natually lead to intimacy after a spanking.  It might be different for each couple, but most I talk to admit that the lesson is no less learned if it is followed by intimacy.  It isn't a reward, it's more of a bonding, and need to be in the arms of the one we love.  If this works for you, then go with it. :)

DD Is Only DD.
Well, I think you would be very hard pressed to find a relationship where this is true.  A lot of marriages, once they start DD, find they also might incorporate some D/s, BDSM, Daddy/Little Girl play, some this or that.  None are right, none are wrong.  It's if it's right for YOU. :)  That is what truly matters, what works for you both.

So what I'm trying to say here is, find what works for you.  DD is different for every couple.  If something you have read or seen or heard does not resound with you, then don't feel you have to try it.  If someone says something you are doing is wrong, but you both feel it is working for your relationship, and neither of you view it as abusive or harming, then that is what matters.  If I stuck with the sites that say bruises are bad, I need to have a ton of rules, butt plugs are humiliating and degrading, and intimacy with punishments is a no no, and DD can only be DD, then DD would not work for my marriage.  Now, there are things they have said that do work for us as well.  This is not to bash other sites.  So, pick and choose what works for you. :)  I have a saying I have taken on - "Getting D/s advice should be like going to a buffet.  Take what's right for you, leave the rest behind." 

So go ahead, have fun, make it your own. :)  You also will probably find in blogs there are a lot of people that advocate picking what works right for you as well. :)  And if you ever wonder, or need someone to talk to, I, and several other bloggers, would be glad to help in any way we can.  If you see an email for them on their blog, chances are, they'll be open to your emails and your questions. :)

- The Duke's Deductions:
I agree with EsMay. The point of DD or anything else in marriage is to make you and your spouse have a happier better marriage, it is not to make some person online happy. So use what you find works and drop the things that you find don't work. Different people can't expect the same things to work the same way in different marriages.
Yes, with bruising, I admit I was worried at first. I did not want to hurt EsMay and did not want this to be abuse, so I was afraid to spank too hard. But you need to learn the best way to do spankings, and sometimes bruising may happen. And yes, I do have a hard time at times keeping track of rules if there are too many. I think a lot of HOH's may have this issue, so it is important to focus on working on the specific things that you want to work on or need to be worked on in your marriage and not try to do everything at once. And for the other stuff, yes butt plugs seem to help in making the sub more submissive. And yes, having your naked wife over your lap while you spank her can be a turn on, and I think that is OK. DD is bringing us closer together. And yeah, in general different couples will find different things that work well for them or that they like, or things that do not work for them or that they hate the thought of. That is OK. You do not have to do this the same way somebody else is doing it, and likewise if somebody else is doing this differently than you that is OK too.

30 comments:

  1. Well said EsMay and Duke. There is so much information out there that it is
    overwhelming at first. Understanding that this is a way of life and not a game is very important. Knowing why you choose to have this lifestyle as well as what you expect to gain is equally as important. Understanding that things may start out in one way andultimately end up in a different manner is ok. Remembering the journey is about you and your partner and the needs of your relationship is the most essential part to keep in mind. There are alot of blogs to read. While many have valid points to consider, I found it essential to follow the blogs where the information provided aligned closely with my beliefs and goals. I do not judge, I just keep an open mind about what I read. It is helpful to have someone who can support you on your journey, because there will be difficult, confusing and challenging times. There are equally times of celebrations. It is great to have someone to share these moments with. I know I have appreciated this particular blog, and really enjoy that Duke from time to time is expressing his views from the HOH standpoint. It helps me to understand where my HOH is comming from possibly. I also would like to extend a welcome to newcommer's and offer any help that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, I do think we need to realize when going in that this isn't a game too. But for some people, it does seem to work to not do DD full time, but then again, that might not be DD then. ;) I do agree that it is best to find the blogs that are close to what you are looking for and learn from them. I still would look at other blogs from time to time to see if they had things to share too, and over time, I had a lot of great information to learn from. :) And I too am glad that the Duke is sharing, I love seeing how he thinks. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Es May & Duke,
    I agree 100% with buffet analogy-I am always going from blog to blog like a squirrel gathering tips/hints to bring back to see what works for us & what doesn't.
    Keep up the great work!
    Love.
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, I love that, Scarlet, what a great analogy of your own. :) It's true, we try, and we use what works, and toss the rest. Sometimes we'd try something we really wanted a few times before determining if it was really right for us or not, but sometimes just once was enough to know. :)

      Delete
  3. Great post ... I think there's a lot of things each of us can bring to blogland... It's good to see both sides as well :) how long have you two been doing DD ?
    ~ s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) It is great to always see different sides, especially when it comes to something as important as marriage. :) We started DD in November of 2012, so we're still learning lots. :)

      Delete
  4. Very well said EsMay! I think some newbies start reading and not only do they get overwhelmed with all the differing information, they start misunderstanding/misreading. Of all the bloggers I know here in blog land, I can't think of one who says "our way is the only way" just "this is the way we do it". Most don't say so in every single post but if you read back through their blogs, you will usually find where they make it clear they are speaking only of what works for them and what they believe.

    Anyhoo...this is a wonderful well thought out post which will be very helpful to all newbies.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I do agree about the blogs, that most of us only want to help, or share what we've learned. :) I noticed that in saying sites over blogs, it still might be confusing, so I changed it in the post. :) It's usually one sided teaching sites, not really blogs, where beginners get one sided information I find, from what I have been told by them anyway. Thank you for pointing that out so that I could fix it. :)

      Delete
  5. EsMay, all of these are great points. I can only agree with what you wrote and I think that “Make it your own” is actually the most valuable piece of information for newbies to understand. I think that’s why you stress this, too, in your different paragraphs. I think that once you know that you can fit it all to your needs, many of the other problems become easier to work through.
    There is one addition about bruises. I am surely not talking about abuse, on the contrary. When I have some bruises, it happens that I am actually proud of them, because they show that we have had a serious discussion and all is cleared up again. They are often an additional sign of intimacy for me, like a little (pleasant) secret. I love that and hubby enjoys that I parade them in front of him, too.

    This is a lovely post with many wonderful and useful pieces of information and I think that the ideas are worth thinking about for more experienced partners, too.

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... I have only had a few bruises from the Duke's spankings, but I too wear them with pride. *blush* They do add a level of intimacy... but to me, they also make me feel owned, and I have to admit, that is something I like to feel as well. *blush* :)

      Delete
  6. Well said EsMay
    It can be very hard when starting out, you want to find out more but can feel as if you're doing it wrong.
    I think Cat is right when she says that most blogs do have disclaimers saying that this is their thoughts, but sometimes it just good to put it up there in lights like you have done here.
    I have kept a little secret about bruising too because I read it was wrong. Bruises don't bother me, they are par for the course in my opinion, especially in the beginning when I used to get more either because he was learning about how hard he should be or because my bottom wasn't as tough, I don't know. But my guilty secret is that hubby has said before that he likes my bottom marked! He got over the concern and said it aloud, he likes seeing the marks but also looking at me dressed and demure in public and knowing that they are there, hidden. I didn't say this before because I didn't want people to think he was sadistic or abusive, he's not! And what's more - I like that he likes them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, I do agree about the blogs, and when Cat pointed it out, fixed it in my post. I do feel most blogs only want to help. I guess I was talking more about teaching sites that beginners have said they have found, and tried to follow all their rules. Teaching sites can be great, but they can also be from a very limited point of view. The great thing about blogs is we all tend to learn from each other, getting many points of views, and seeing real examples of why it is so great to work differently for each relationship. :)

      And Janey, yeah! What a beautiful thing to have between you and your husband. :) You know, I feel the same way. *blush* I love it when the Duke likes that I have either had a very pink bottom from a spanking, or that I have a bruise because he marked me. It gives them this feeling of control, possession, of love, and who doesn't love a good secret when out in public. ;) Thank you so much for sharing, I loved this story! :) :)

      Delete
  7. This is such an amazing post, I really wish I would have read this a couple years ago. It sure would have saved some stress and fights along the way, I remember the big one we had over some minor bruising because I was told how awful that was. The truth is, it does happen from time to time, and while neither of us likes it, and learning how to do a warm up has helped significantly..it still happens now and again , especially when my iron levels are low. I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for learning sites because I think we all have to start somewhere, and I know it helped us to have an outline of what to do at first. It definitely helped in those early days when we were unsure and felt alone. As time has gone by, we have developed our own way, learning along the way, and I think that's part of the journey. I know with time our confidence is what WE do has definitely increased. Knowing other couples has also helped because DD/TTWD looks different in every relationship.

    I hated feeling like we were doing everything wrong, and I feel for anyone who struggles with that. I'm so glad you and Duke are there to let them know that this is not a one size fits all, it's supposed to be personalized to fit both of your needs, and I know for us it's ever evolving, I think it might be for many people too. Thank you both for such an amazing post!!

    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The learning blogs did help me in some ways too. :) I just got side tracked by the need to be's, instead of the might be's, and hearing from others, so glad that we can all share. :) And I'm glad that you guys were able to learn in the end that bruises happen, no matter how much you prepare, and it's really no ones fault if they do. :) Oh, and isn't it beautiful that DD can be different in every couple? If we put them all together, it would be like a beautiful patchwork quilt of options and lifestyles. :)

      Delete
  8. This is a great post EsMay and The Duke. Couples starting out need to know there are NO ABSOLUTES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like that, no absolutes. And that is so true.

      Delete
  9. Excellent post EsMay and Duke. Very well thought out and said. I think this will be helpful to many new to DD.

    Many of us feel we are doing it 'wrong' or think we should or shouldn't be doing this, that or the other early on. I know intimacy after spanking and bruising were big issues for me. I think it is important to research, but most important to understand there is no formula or 'right' way. Every couple needs to find what works for them. I like your buffet analogy. Take the things you feel may work for you relationship and dump the rest.

    Comparing ourselves to others is another trap we all fall into. Again, it's important to recognise that each couple approaches DD/ttwd differently.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roz, that statement formed and changed over time into what it is now. I've come to realize, DD, D/s, Vanilla, what have you, we all do marriage different. What I absolutely need in my marriage might destroy another's, so it can be dangerous to think we should all fit a cookie cutter mold. I am glad that you and Rick were able to learn and grow, and realize that you didn't need to be worried about bruises and intimacy. :) I love hearing about you two, you are such an example to me.

      Delete
  10. Awesome post EsMay. Making DD your own is really important - and it's what makes DD actually MATTER to each couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, thank you for sharing. Making it our own really does make it matter. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  11. Have I told you just how much I love you guys? This is important information and you guys get it out there engagingly with charm and grace, and with so much evident love for each other. Your voices are invaluable in blogland.

    Great big (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEhehe, love you too, June. :) and thank you... never been told I've engaged with charm and grace... the Duke will start expecting more out of me now. ;) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  12. Hi EsMay, this is a great post. We have always done our own thing, my rules are few and punishments are not that frequent. We are old enough to have learnt a great deal about each other and want to enjoy ttwd. I am today however sporting a few bruises as I have been an absolute nuisance over Easter. I will tell you a secret, I love my bruises, no idea why, but I do. Hope you and Duke are happy and well
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I think you will find, even in just these comments, that some of us love our bruises too. :) {{{hugs}}} For me, it's feeling owned, it's feeling the safety of him taking care of me, it's knowing he'll be there for me when I need, and it's the secret no one else knows about. ;) And we are well, thank you, I hope you both are as well. :)

      Delete
  13. This is an awesome post you guys. The "make it your own" phase should be the official ttwd motto in my opinion. Like many things in life, dd is a fluid thing. For many blogs I have read, it starts out one way, and along the journey you pick things up and leave other things behind, even create some things from scratch. This is how we make it our own. What's more, is that even when you are at a "stable" point in your dd relationship, things are likely to change again in some way. People grow and change all the time, so it isn't surprising that the relationship dynamic will need to grow and change with them. I think a lot of us (women)go into this with an element of shame for wanting something like this, even if it's subconscious, so when there's a site out there with clearly defined guidelines that seem to have the approval of lots of people, it's easy to see how newcomers can get sucked into thinking that's the "right" way to be. I wish that I could say to everyone new to this lifestyle: share your absolute true feelings here, because I know that there is someone else out there just like you...you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, let's make it official ;)... hmm... who do you see about making an official ttwd motto? LOL ;) ;) You know, the Duke and I have only been doing this for a year and a half, and yet, we still have had things change already in that time. We have different needs, we see different things that need to be addressed now that didn't have to be before. Life changes, and we have to change with it, and that also means our marriages, and DD. :) And yes, it can be so easy to get sucked in, I can raise my hand right along with many others that did, or do. We want to do it right, we want the rule book, and it actually can be a little scary when you learn there actually isn't one. - Anyone reading, as River said, share if you would like, even if you just want to in the comments here. We're here for you. :)

      Delete
  14. I love love LOVE this. It's so great for new DDers to have something like this to read - You both did a great job on this post. I think it's so important for couples new to DD to realize that you have to make it your own. You have to find what works for you and realize that it isn't a fairytale out of a DD novel - but you can make it into your own little fairytale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kenzie. And that is so true, when I tried the DD novel fairy tale... I kind of fell flat on my face... *blush* But now, I'm living a real life one, ups and downs, hurts and joys, and so much love! :) And the Duke has kind of become my hero. :) *blush*

      Delete
  15. Ok....can I just tell you how much I love you? I mean, seriously. Your posts are so genuine and so helpful between the two of you. As a newbie....thank you for this post!! I've been trying to keep it foremost in my mind that I don't live in a DD book so I shouldn't expect it to work that way. My story will be different. And that's just fine. He doesn't spank - I need it. But, for right now, that's ok. Everything moves in its own time, at its own speed. I can't thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Maggie, thank you. :). It is always nice to be loved. :). Yes, I have to admit, I struggled with the novel vs reality myself in the beginning too. It can be so tempting to imagine our lives, and HoHs just the same. {{{hugs}}} and I love how you put it. Everything does indeed move at its own time and speed. And it's amazing how frustratingly we can learn submission in the time... augh, lol. :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.