Saturday, March 01, 2014

Once Does Not Mean Always

Glad you all liked the Duke's Deductions at the end of the last post. :)  I didn't want to go with POV because in my head, that is a Ward and June thing, and I wanted to honour that.  So we tossed about some ideas for a while, and finally came up with deduction, hopefully it makes sense. :)

So to start this, it means admitting a vice I have.  *gasp*  Yes, a vice.  My boss sometimes gets me to take her ipad, and if the little guy is trying to play by himself, she'll ask me to spin her slots game.  She's trying to outdo her husband. ;)  Anyway, there is this one game I really liked, and so downloaded it for myself to play at home.  Now the problem with this game, is that if I get a big win, I automatically want to bid a lot more, but then lose everything quickly if it's not a winning streak.  So the other day I told myself on my first good win, "Once does not mean always", I wanted to make myself check for the pattern first before diving in head first.  And bang, I was taken out of the game, and realized how true that is to life.  How I wish I'd had these words when we started DD.  "Once does not mean always."

When we started DD, the Duke was making real progress in some areas, but like any time we take on a new frame of mind, we slip with the old habits at times.  So no matter how long the Duke had gone doing well with this or that, when he failed, I all the sudden felt like this was our life, this was how it was always going to be.  I was always going to have to carry the weight of our marriage, I was always going to have to be in charge.  I'd just say these things, I'd get down, and that fed more negative thoughts, and you guys know how that goes.

But we're all human.  We all need grace, room to grow.  I needed to realize that one day was just one day.  One failure, or step back was only one.  Everything wasn't all undone, and my life wasn't sentenced to nothing but what I already knew.  I learned the hard way that I needed to remember to look at the growth, and not the setbacks.  I learned that I am going to make huge mistakes, and I needed to let the Duke have that room to fail and grow as well.  I had to stop judging.

How I wish I'd had this line "Once does not mean always" back at the beginning.  I think it would have helped me out so much to remember that there was so much growth already, and to just look at the goal, the journey, and not dwell on the setbacks.  I've learned setbacks are GREAT.  They help us learn, they help us grow, they help us learn to work better together.  Truthfully, without setbacks, there is no strength gained.  You need them to appreciate each other better, to learn to see each other's points of view, to see the struggle the other may have, and learn ways to help them we might not see otherwise.  I hate struggles, but also am so thankful for them.  I have an incredible marriage because of them.

I don't know if this line can help anyone else out there, but wanted to share it just in case, I know it's already helping me now that I'm quoting it.  It's one I hope to remember.

- The Duke's Deductions:

Hi Guys.

I agree with EsMay on this. A lot of times in DD, it was hard because we were taking on roles we were not accustomed to, and so if things were stressful and difficult, we would fall back into our old roles and habits by default. This is not unique to DD, I feel like this happens anytime we try to make a change in life. For instance, I have a desire to lose weight and become healthier. However, it is very difficult because it means making changes to a lifestyle. I've found ways to make it easier to walk everyday for about an hour, but am having a harder time taking on more physically strenuous types of workouts or giving up certain types of junk food. Life is hard, work is hard, and stresses make me want to fall in the old habits of life, either eating junk food, or in DD, not wanting to step up in terms of leading EsMay around. Then, if you slip up and forget something or make a mistake, you want to think that you are a failure, or believe that you can't do it, and give up. However, in those moments, I think it is important to look at the progress you have made, and look at the good times. See the things you did do well, the things you surprised yourself on, and how far you have come. If you are able to remind yourself that you are changing, you are improving, you are better than you thought you were, then you can keep moving forward. Everyday is a new chance to make things better, or to fix things. Today you can make a decision to follow through on DD or whatever else in life. It's hard and there can be a lot of setbacks, but yes, one bad night does not mean your life is ruined.

- And a final note, this is post 195, so soon it will be 200 posts for this blog. How that is possible, I don't even know. But we wanted to spend that post answering questions if you have any. We'd love to hear from you guys. If you are a lurker, feel free to write me/us if you'd rather not comment, and I will just put your comment/question up as anonymous, or put whatever sign name you'd like. It can be a DD question, or just a general question. We'd just love to give you all the opportunity to get to know us a bit better.

24 comments:

  1. Hi guys,
    I agree that this can be a very helpful phrase to remember. I can't tell you how many times I was convinced that all was lost at the beginning of our journey. I was young and he was reluctant, so I think that plus my immaturity led to much more of that way of thinking. As we've grown together and I've learned how to better communicate and trust him more, I have recognized that I need to check my expectations, make sure I'm communicating from my heart, and remember that he's imperfect just like me. He's not "better" than me, he just has a different role. So when I stopped putting him up on such a high pedestal, it was easier to take his mistakes for what they were, rather than thinking that he's just stopped caring. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to reflect on this :-)

    Love, River

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are as imperfect as we are, but then again, them accepting our flaws makes it so much easier for us to accept us with ours. :) I love to hear that you are growing, and respecting him. What a beautiful thing, River. :)

      Delete
  2. EsMay, what you wrote about learning the hard way sounds pretty familiar to me, since it’s like before I had hubby. And the change to the positive that you describe, is so fantastic and something that we also experienced. I think sometimes it is not easy to refrain from judging or looking at the setbacks too much, but I can only agree to what you wrote, that the chance for learning and the growth which actually happens as a result is immense and an experience that strengthens us.
    Well, I am not sure if I would have been able to understand all these things early in our marriage, but from today’s pov I can only agree and think that the setbacks are actually something like steps on our way up to the sunny side :)

    hugs

    Nina


    Hello Duke, I really like that positive way of looking at things and I think that it is easier to cope with the changes you mentioned when you look at the progress and achievement. I think that’s pretty important to do and sometimes it is such a good way of giving strength to a partner who cannot see the progress in a difficult moment.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I can even agree while going through a setback that they are worth it. :) But every time we come out on the other side, we're stronger, not always as happy right away, but we get there, and we lean on each other more and more, and that, in it's own way, is beautiful. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment Nina. I have to admit I don't always practice what I preach, but that is human life. You just have to realize that every new day is a new opportunity to make change for the better.

      Delete
  3. Such a GREAT lesson. My husband and I still work on this in all aspects of our relationship. If one of us does something the other doesn't like *once,* we come back with "You *always* do this!" This is so important to remember the positive things that happen frequently (hopefully) when addressing the negative things that happen occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Autumn, I so understand falling into that. I did, it was so easy to do, because it was so easy to think that that really was how things were in the darkness of the moment. I think that is a good outlook you have adopted. :) :)

      Delete
  4. Es May - there are so many thoughts running in my head right now and I'll never get to put them down. First, thank you for this blog; for your blog in general. I understand where you are coming from on so many topics. But this one...this one hits my heart because we are at the beginning and I'm so frustrated. I wish I could write everything out to you but it would be a novel! Thank you for the insight. I will try to remember that this time does not mean always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thank you for your kind words, they mean so much to me. Sweetie, if you ever need to write, please do. My email is esmayslife@gmail.com. Even if it's just to vent your frustration, I'd be more than happy to be a sounding board. {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  5. Hey Es May...you are doing so well! I've told several people over the last year or so (not sure if you were one of them) that TTWD is a dance...2 steps forward, 1 step back and several side steps...it could then be 1 step forward and 3 side steps and 2 steps back! But as long as you continue to dance, you will continue to learn.

    Hey Duke...you are so right...changing any kind of habit is not easy. I quit smoking (again) last year...will be a year on St Patrick's day and when I get stressed, my first thought is to light up...so far, I haven't done it! Good luck on losing weight...I haven't had any luck yet but still trying. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, don't forget to mention twirls and spins that leave you dizzy! hehehe :)

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on making it as far as you have cat. Yeah, smoking must be a hard one to quit, but I guess you just have to try and stay motivated.

      Delete
  6. Oh...i love it...once that not mean always...it is worth remembering. It would make life so much easier during the stressful times, if we all remembered it. Thanks for the wonderful piece of wisdom...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abby, it does, or at least it has for me. :) {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  7. This post feels like it was written just for my husband and I & I just wanted to say thank you so much-I really feel that God sent that message through you both to us. It was exactly what we both needed to hear & you posted it just hours after we had a major misunderstanding that shook is both deeply and caused us a lot of unnecessary pain before we finally realized we were upset for nothing. At first we were both trying & trying to figure out how we got to the misunderstanding but then we realized that what we should be thinking about was how much DD has helped us-although emotions were high l stayed respectful and spoke calmly/without attitude and he didn't let me run away and hide when I wanted to & although in this particular case it was very hard he did remain firm that we continue to talk & not go to bed angry. It made us realize how important DD is in our relationship & we renewed our commitment to DD & to each other & how important communication is. Thank you again for sharing the way you do-I feel this phrase wil help both of us very much and I plan to add it to the list of things to remember that I look at each morning!
    Love,
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMSing here, so your words brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that you can look and see that even though there was an argument, you both have learned so much in being able to deal with them in a respectful and healthy way. :) I am glad that this post touched you so much, whenever I write, I just share what I know, never realizing how it can touch people. Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  8. Ok I think in falling in love with you two :) don't worry in the best possible way and not the stalking kind of hiding in the bush watching you lol

    This post is good and true, it hits the nail right on the head. Not every set back is the end of the world, get up, dust yourself down and carry on. Mistakes are what we learn from, forgiveness and understanding is what makes us stronger.

    Thank you both for sharing your valuable thoughts with us :)

    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, that's a relief. I'm not so much into stalkers after having a few in college. ;) But I love you and Balu too, you guys are so absolutely adorable. :) And I agree, dust yourself off and get back up... though I tend to be a lot slower at doing that at times than I should be, depends on how emotional I am. Hey, I'm a woman! ;) lol {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
    2. You're welcome Missy Jones.

      Delete
  9. Hi EsMay and Duke, what a nice post. It is great to see you both working so well together. Cat's dance sounds like fun!!
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan, we try. :) And her dance really does sound like fun. :)

      Delete
  10. Geez guys I think I need to bookmark this one! It's so easy to get discouraged and turn to the "It's never going to work" negative mode. I'm not a natural optimist so I have to keep working on finding the accomplishments and the hard work we've put into this so far. It's always good to read a reminder that set backs and bad days happen. They're not failure just hurdles to over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Clara, I am not a natural optimist either. The Duke would tell you that I am, but it's because I really have to work things around in my head, if I didn't, then the sky would constantly be falling in my world. I don't know if it will help, but at times, I write down the good things going on, so that I have them as reminders when the good isn't happening. And now that I blog, I can just go back through everything to remind me. :) And you are right, they are hurdles, not failures. And each hurdle brings us closer together. :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.