Sunday, January 05, 2014

New Year's Message From The Duke

Greetings all. The Duke here with a quick little post. I wanted to first let you all know that I have apologized to my wife and understand how insensitive I had been. I am sorry that I needed her to shovel when she had a headache and ruined her day that day. I also wanted to let you all know that EsMay really is a wonderful and sweet individual and am very happy I married her. Today is our anniversary and we are celebrating 6 years of marriage which I am very happy about. So, happy anniversary to my lovely wife!

I wanted to tell you all about something I learned about EsMay in the last couple weeks. I noticed that when EsMay has been unhappy with people, either with myself or with another of our friends, she talks about what makes her feel hurt. And often what causes that is from her viewpoint, the person causing the hurting did so intentionally . Like in my case, the reason I realized she was so upset is she thought I purposefully chose to leave later than usual and break my word to her about what time I would be ready to go at in the morning in order to hurt her feelings. However, I would never wish to hurt her feelings intentionally, and the times I have, it is honestly because I have either misunderstood something, or made some accidental mistake, or forgot about something. Whatever the case,  I have realized EsMay has taken it to mean I purposefully meant to hurt her when I did not. However, I have talked with my wife and we have realized that in her past, she has been in some very hurtful situations, where abusive people have purposefully and sadistically said or did things just to hurt her feelings. We have found that this may have taught her that when people do hurt her feelings, it is because they wanted to hurt her, which is not the case at all. So I just wanted to share with you that this is something we are going to work through together.

I also wanted to say what I have been learning lately. First I have learned that consistency is one of my biggest weaknesses as an HoH, which leaves my wife feeling confused and in charge again. What usually happens is I feel stressed or discouraged about my day, so that causes me to retreat or to be quiet, but also makes me not want to feel like spanking my wife. Spanking has become an important part of our marriage, so I am learning that in those moments, even when I feel discouraged, it is important that I still step up as the dominant one in our marriage, and not let a spanking slip by when it is needed. Also, I am learning the lesson to not let my wife get away with things in our marriage, to not let her draw away from me or hold back from me, and just some of the little things like that to help her feel more loved and more taken care of in our marriage. I am also learning the importance of talking to her, even when I don't know what the right words are, just the sound of my voice sometimes tells her that she is important to me.

Anyway, I hope you all have a great 2014!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you both! This is such a kind post. It's really great that you're mutually making so much effort into your marriage. Your comment about the "sound of your voice" is so true - I wish more husbands knew that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. I am realizing using my voice is an area I can really grow in.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary. Life is a learning experience and as long as you practice the lessons you learn, you will succeed. Es May has to know you have her back and hearing your voice lets her know you are there.

    Good for both and I wish you a long and happy anniversary and year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. Yeah you are always learning and life, I am guessing there is never a point where you absolutely "get it".

      Delete
  3. First of all...Happy Anniversary Es May and Duke!

    Hey Duke...Being an HoH does not mean that you are or have to be perfect. You are human and make mistakes...we all do! So happy to read how you and Es May are learning together.

    Ya know, her past is going to create more challenges for the two of you than what some other DD couples might have to face but I do believe you two can meet those challenges successfully.

    Hey Es May...Cygnet over at Ugly Duckling Project wrote a lovely post that I think you need to read. Here's her link in case you haven't visited her before:
    http://uglyducklingproject2012.blogspot.com/

    Es May...if there is anything I can do to help you, please feel free to email me. I have also had to overcome some unpleasantness in my background. I explain a bit about that on my 'My Life' page on my blog.

    Sending lots of prayers and positive energy to both of you!

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cat. Thank you for your comment. Yes, nobody is perfect, the idea is to try to grow and learn from your mistakes.

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you both! I hope you have a wonderful day.

    This is such a lovely post. I have been following here for quite a while now and what I love about the two of you is that you face challenges together and communicate and learn from them. It's wonderful to see how much you have learnt about yourselves and each other and how much you have grown individually and as a couple. Consistency, on both parts, is hard to maintain constantly. There really does seem to be an ebb and flow to DD ... at least, it is that way for us.

    Your mutual love and commitment shines through :) Wishing you all the very best for 2014 and hope it is a wonderful year for you.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz, yeah I thought we had a great anniversary.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful post, happy anniversary to both of you! Being a HOH is not easy, and I respect the men who can step up and lead because I know it's really, really hard at times. You both have changed and grown so much, I wish you both the best in 2014!!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennelle, Thank you. You are right, it is hard at times, but I believe it is worth it.

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary to both of you! And Happy New Year as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace. I hope you have a great 2014 as well.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Angel Blue. I hope you are enjoying reading our blog.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments, but I do ask you to be kind. We go into this with eyes wide open after months of prayer, and a peace in our hearts that this is the right choice before God for our marriage. I am open to questions from those who wonder why we made this choice, but I would ask for no personal attacks. Thank you. :)

Troll comments and spam will be deleted.